MORE ABOUT ME

Friday, June 21, 2013

NEW WORK: GETTING WOOD

Good Friday all! I am super excited about this piece that I just finished.
I wanted to do something with birch trees.
WHY???
Well, show after show AFTER SHOW......I watch Canadians buy birch trees.
I am not sure why we are OBSESSED WITH THEM??
Personally, I don't really get it.
I love trees and all.....but I kinda think it is a bit tired. (ooooh SLAM ;-)
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!
I decided to paint a birch tree painting with my own personal flair.
I started with the poster part........
Picture it......
...a deer...
...in the forrest...
........and it says 'if a tree falls in the forrest....'
When I went to paint it.....I found it a bit HO HUM......so I went back to the old drawing board.
I am glad I did! It ended up looking like this:

"Sustain Wood", 30" x 24", Acrylic on Board
Fun....and a bit 'salty'!!
So......let's break it down.
The poster has a man chopping down a tree.......he is shirtless and presumably sweaty.
(why is this beginning to sound like  Daniel Steele book??)
And of course the new poster is 'Getting wood is easy!"
It made me laugh.
Yes......I am a man-child......but COME ON!!
The background for the whole piece is nuts, acorns, pinecones and squirrels.
The letter has a quote from Bryce Nelson that is SUPER SERIOUS
"People who will not sustain trees will soon like in a world that will not sustain people."
But you know I don't like to be too preachy.....so that is why I felt it was necessary to 'fun it up'!
Also on this piece, a chunk of wood, and of course a woodpecker!
So to summarize....
Wood - nuts - pecker
YUP! I am definitely on fart joke away from starring in a Judd Apatow movie.
You're welcome!!!!

REMEMBER TO COME OUT AND SEE THIS PIECE IN A FEW WEEKS AT THE TORONTO OUTDOOR ART EXHIBITION:
For more info on TOAE you can read this post!
OK....now go and have a great weekend!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Nice!
    Oh, damn, now I have to go back and look at your other paintings paying a lot more attention to details. I would've missed the nuts completely.

    ReplyDelete