MORE ABOUT ME

Friday, January 4, 2013

BOMB GIRLS, Season 2, Episode 2!

Well, I have kept a lid on this one for MONTHS now.
But finally I can share with you!
This is  "Bomb Girls"

The show profiles the stories of four women working in a Canadian munitions factory during World War II, beginning in 1941. Yes, it is Canadian, and yes, it is taped right here in Toronto. The second season debuts this week on Global.
You must check out the cool Global website!!!! Very informative and interactive!


Ok....so what does this fine show have to do with me???
Well, I did some artwork for the show.
I was given the art direction to create artwork for the Valentine-themed episode.
In it is a specifically scripted element that reads as follows:

Betty and Ivan smile for the camera, cut-out heads on
a big board -- pilot and bomber, painted hearts joining them
as they drop bombs on Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito!


So essentially, it is was to design one of those stand up gag-photo boards.
Here was the rough thumbnail I that was my starting point:

From there, I created my drawings. Here was my final drawing....

Then I rendered it in paint. Here is my final artwork:


They then scanned my work and blew it up to people size!
I will post a photo of the final set piece after it shows up on NEXT WEDNESDAY'S (the 9th) show!!!
REMEMBER TO TUNE IN AND LOOK FOR IT!!!

So then, later I was commissioned to do a second piece of art.
I was given the following art direction:

"Hitler as a 'raging animal' in the background - very propaganda-y - he is LARGE and looming over some happy officers chatting. With the words "Do your part. SILENCE" on the bottom."

I was given this artwork too:

Once I got some notes.....I went ahead, it became this:
SPOOKY!!!!

Sadly, at the 11th hour, they decided to change directions completely, so this one never made it to air.
So...........anyone wanna buy a hitler painting??? (YIKES!!!)
None the less, it was still a great experience!!
I am happy to have been ANY part of the show, and I hope you check it out.
Bomb Girls Season 2, on Global starting this week.....
TUNE IN NEXT WEEK TO SEE MY ART (if only for 5 seconds ;-)

5 comments:

  1. Rob - fantastic work as always! Your style and artistry are the perfect combination to complement their show. Can't wait to see you work in action next episode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda!! I am really excited to see the final piece!!!!

      Delete
  2. Well done. Excellent Work. Good on the eyes and the mind. Chuckle Chickle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob!!! I'm so proud of you!
    Melissa Mills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Melissa and David!!!! I appreciate it!!!

      Delete