MORE ABOUT ME

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

WW45: MASHED, COLOURIZED AND NOT DULL (but may need his eyes examined)

Hey y'all. 
Well, WHAT A WEEK!!!!!!!
I am working up a new painting despite the fact that my studio is still torn apart!
Here is what my studio looked like on this Monday morning (AFTER the floor was FIXED):


and then post water clean-up yesterday:
AND YET I STILL BLOG FOR YOU!!!!
See how much I care???
OK...let's get to it - 5 things I LOVE this week:
  
1. DJ Earworm. Yes, You heard me. Do you like that pop music? Do you wish you could hear all the radio hits of today in one song??? Well nobody does it better. I know that mash-up is nothing new, but this guy is super good at mixing songs together. I have been a fan of his since 2009.....Check out his website:




Here one of my favourite of his legendary mash-ups:




Here is the "United State of Pop 2011".....




FUN huh????


2.) Recolouring by swedish artist sanna dull away. She renders iconic black-and-white photographs in colour using Photoshop CS5. She offers a recolouring and restoration service for old photographs, undertook the works-- alongside processing old family photos-- as a personal project. It is, of course totally controversial!! But I LOVE it. I love black and white - don't get me wrong.....I just love the re-invention of the photos through colour!!!


Here is what DESIGN BOON had to say: "It raises questions about "stealing" of culturally significant imagery, as well as the boundaries of what classifies something as art, the recoloured photographs are also technically striking, generally achieving a colour and climate that is not only realistic but also largely consistent with the tonalities achievable or popular at the time."


Anne Frank

‘The American Way’
V-J Day in Times Square’ Alfred Eisenstaedt

Honest Abe

photograph from liverpool's canada dock, 1909, featuring first chief engineer of mauretania john currie

3.) These posters straight from the Library of Congress WPA website! There are HUNDREDS of these and I am just picking a few random ones to show you! The WPA according to wikipedia:


The Works Progress Administration was the largest and most ambitious New Deal agency, employing millions of unskilled workers to carry out public works projects including the construction of public buildings and roads, and operated large arts, drama, media, and literacy projects.






These are via Cindy - VIA Retronaut.co

4.)
Kim's Convenience. Those of you who know me, know I see very few plays. I see a lot of musicals (probably an unhealthy number of them). So when I was invited to see Kim's Convenience, I was a little worried. When were the people gonna break into song???? Thankfully it was a really good show. Those of you who live in Toronto know Soulpepper theatre....and you know the high quality work they produce there. Here is how they explain the show: 

Soulpepper Academy alumnus Ins Choi's hilarious and touching debut play set in a Regent Park Korean convenience store was the smash hit of the 2011 Toronto Fringe Festival. The journey of a fractured but loving family confronting the future and forgiving the past is a Toronto classic in the making. Directed by Weyni Mengesha (Soulpepper Academy alumna)


Although it is centred around Korean immigrants who have a corner store in Toronto and the relationship they have with their children...it is about more than that. It was funny and very touching at the end!! I think the themes in it are totally universal and relevant! It runs until February 11th at the Young Centre for the Performing Arts, 55 Mill St, T.O., 416-866-8666 or www.youngcentre.ca

Thanks to Shirley for including me in her trip to see this play. It was really appreciated!!!!


5.) I wanted to leave you with a laugh, but I had nothing this week that was funny. NOTHING. But here are 2 clips from Ellen that made my week a little bit better. ONE -  I got a laugh from Sofia Vergara (from Modern Family) who is the funniest woman around:


and this clip of Kevin Nealon made me smile too:


So there you go.......
Hope you enjoyed this weeks post!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment