MORE ABOUT ME

Thursday, July 1, 2010

WITH A MOUTH FULL OF CROISSANT.....

You know the quote..."don't bite off more than you can chew." I want to discuss this today! You see, as an avid eater, I have never had this problem in the real life sense. I mean honestly...too much buttery croissant in my mouth? Nah! Too much mashed potatoes? No way! Too much popcorn? SAY WHAT?! So the genesis of this phrase - is pretty much lost on me! The meaning, however is not much of a mystery. I have a sublime talent of taking on too much work at one time! It is a talent that I have all but perfected. I give you, a snapshot from my studio. I believe that this picture is the clearest illustration of 'more than I can chew'.

Okay, so let's say, somehow I was able to see myself clear of all the little shadow box pieces that need to get their finishing details. If in some way, it were possible to wade through the wood shavings to get to my easel. If, by some bizarre twist of fate, I could see past all the madness of strewn power tools......I would still have THAT feeling.......that overwhelming feeling that there is a CRAZY-@ss deadline looming in my immediate future.
Let me break it down for you. I am trying to get all my new work done for my September 1st "Arcade" exhibition. Easy? Hell to the NO! My first pinball machine (see STUNNING example below) 

took me 3 weeks...YES....That is 3, count them, THREE weeks of full-time work. Now, for this "Arcade" show, I have to produce 3-6 more of them.....and this is what I have so far.....

So, the time is nigh to commence with the panicking! Ok, maybe I will be able to get it all done on time. Granted, I have pulled a miracle out of thin air before. BUT YIKES! I am at a place where I have committed to produce more than I can paint. I know it doesn't have the same ring as 'biting off more than I can chew", but in a world where there just is no croissant large enough for my big mouth.......I, in good faith, cannot use that expression with complete complacency! 

So there it is! I thought a little story might give y'all the 411 on my current state of mind. Thank you for reading, and now I am heading out for a croissant! AND I will not be shoving it, in its entirety to my mouth, but rather savouring it like the last morsel of food on earth! Mmmmmm! 

2 comments:

  1. haha rather like Francis Bacon's studio.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. True 'dat! It is kinda Bacon-esque.....I hear that being a crazy really helps sell!! Mmmmmmmm bacon..........

    ReplyDelete