MORE ABOUT ME

Friday, July 23, 2010

TODAY I DON'T FEEL LIKE IT!

You know, there are some days I just cannot find anything interesting to say. There are some days, when I have no new work to show. There are still others, when I have been working like a dog, and have lots I could show....but CANNOT! "Cannot?" you ask yourself, yes, like right now. You may know I am trying to get a show of brand new work done for september 1st. I am working on  show called "ARCADE". It seems pretty self explanatory, but here is my lengthy art-speak artist statement:

The origins of pinball can be traced back as far as the 15th century but really had their hayday in the 50’s-70’s. During this time they were a reflection of what was happening in society. Arcade games, through entertainment, dealt with issues related to the Cold War, space exploration and even feminism. The physical look of the pinball machine has always been about spectacle. The flashing lights, the sounds and sights of extraordinary worlds have an incredible and ageless appeal. 
Simply put, the arcade game is social commentary wrapped up in spectacular and entertaining package. It is this realization that has led me to the concept of re-creating arcade games as art to be viewed within a gallery setting. I want to use the visual appeal of the spectacle to draw attention to the truths of the present. As an artist, I am drawn to the idea of education though entertainment. What better way to start a conversation about society than through the pop culture phenomenon of the pinball machine?
Each work of art is designed, built and painted by hand and uses materials that have been repurposed. This clever use of recycled materials adds an additional environmental depth to each piece. Each of the art-pieces, like the games they emulate, is meant to both entertain and inform the viewer. 


So, I am working on this whole HUGE SHOW. But here's the thing, I can't post the pictures, because I don't want to give the whole show away before the opening. I mean, you may look at the pictures online, and feel like you have seen the show, and therefore don't come to see it in person. Nobody likes it when you act like that! So, just to appease you, happy reader here are a few clips from 3 brand new pieces!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment