MORE ABOUT ME

Friday, June 18, 2010

FLIPPING THE BIRD

Ok, so I am on a roll, finishing up the rest of the pieces in my "Mixed Messages" Series. For those of you wo need a refresher, these are little 'shadow boxes'  that I have been working on that take my old imagery (from previously completed works of mine) and reinvents the subject to produce HILL-AIR-EE-US results. Ok, that might be over selling it, but I think they are pretty cute and clever! I am hoping to have 20 done for the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition (which is only 20 days away!) This piece is called "Flip the Bird". Here is a definition that makes the meaning clear:
1. The act of rotating an avian creature through more than 90 degrees.
2. The act of extending the central digit of the hand with the intent to cause offence 



This piece was built using imagery from my paintings "Flipping Eggs" which is SOLD, 
The little chef dude was taken from a piece that I painted over! Every now and then I do a painting that doesn't quite thrill me. I think paintings are like children.....some are not beautiful, but they still have something redeeming about them. And like children, I often just sell it and hope to never see it again. No? Not appropriate? I think there are only a handful of these paintings. But the even rarer bird, the repainted painting. I do most of my final compositions in Photoshop, so I don't have to keep redrawing things.....so I have very few 'duds' that need repainting, but this one - was one! It was so HEINOUS that I simply cannot show it to you! You may be blind after staring into the terrible composition!


As usual, I added some ink on top just to make it 'pop'. On this piece, I also added scrabble times and some metal - which I also painted, and aged. You'll notice I actually flipped the bird upside down for added effect!


Whadda 'ya think??